Thursday, January 22, 2009

Benefits

Most of the time when you are considering a job the benefits are a major weighing factor. Unfortunately that is not something you think of as much when you are single and don't have a family, and that is usually when you are "deciding what to do with the rest of you life" Well if benefits had been a major weighing factor (or even a factor at all for that matter) I may have thought twice about becoming a Massage Therapist. Which maybe makes me grateful I was none the wiser at the ripe old age of 21 when I started massage school! I love the knowledge I've gained and experiences I've had as a Massage Therapist. BUT Massage Therapy is not exactly known for it's incredible benefits. Neither is being a Nanny! Which is what I spend my time doing, nannying and massaging! Traditional benefits of a job usually include, medical, dental, vision, paid time off, holidays, etc. I feel very luck that Brent has a job with amazing benefits so that I can feel perfectly justified in enjoying the benefits of my job, which really don't help him out at all, unlike the many time's I've offered a prayer of gratitude for Brent's amazing benefits! Though not traditional I've come up with a good list of benefits from my current employment, and self employment, here's the list

Food: Random right but regularly during the summer I would get a call from Angie "I'm at Bahama Bucks, what do you want?" It is also common to hear, "I'm getting ______for lunch what do you want?" Brent and I get Free pizza or Panda Express every Thursday night of baby sitting. And I often hear "I've cooked too much _______ for dinner do you want to take some home with you," or "I have leftovers do you want some?" Love hearing that when I have no idea what I'm going to fix for dinner.

Free hand me down odds & ends: I love that I hear, I've got such and such I don't want/use any more do you think you guys can use it? My dogs have been grateful for hand me down dogie beds, our couch has been grateful for new throw pillows. And many other things!

Life Lessons: It has been my philosophy for years that if I can learn from others mistakes then maybe, just maybe I can learn some valuable lessons with out having to go through all the hard knocks! Which is a great philosophy much easier spoken then applied! But I try! So one of the great benefits of massage is the life lessons I learn from such a broad range of people from a multitude of backgrounds and life experiences. I've gotten wonderful advice and learned so much from conversations with people about, finance, investing, business, motherhood, children, parents, family relationships, religion/spirituality, marriage, self, and the list could go on and on! It's amazing the things that will come out of peoples mouths when the feel safe and relaxed! Many valuable gems of wisdom can be gathered when you really listen to what people say and not just the words that come out of their mouths! Or when you take a moment to ask a thoughtful question.

Quiet Moments of Introspection: Massage clients often like to chat but just as often they just want to relax and "zone out." It is in those moments of quite I have had some of the best quality time with myself! A Dark, quiet, atmosphere with gentle music, is perfect place to ponder life's mysteries! I've done some good soul searching while giving a good massage!

Restored Youthfulness: As we age we loose the carefree feeling that is childhood. It is my firm belief that if we can hold on to at least an aspect of that life will be less stressful, more enjoyable, and a whole lot more fun! Being around children reminds me to appreciate the little things. Like a seed pod on the ground (McKinley would pick one up in the drive way of her preschool every day before getting in the car to go home, thought it was the greatest thing in the world!). They also remind you to laugh! Laughter is abounding in little children! It's contagious so it's inevitable that being around them will make you smile at the least! Kids also realize there is no time like the present! They take advantage of every moment of life as the treasure it is! Relishing even 5 minutes of swinging on the swing or playing out side before nap time calls! Why is it I can grump about only having 5 minutes to do something I love and they can be ecstatic they even get the chance to play?!?! Children are also extremely resilient! They can be crying because the end of their world just came on SECOND and the next be laughing! If only I could move on so quickly and easily!!!

Entertainment: Children and massage clients will say and do the funniest things! A lot of those life lessons are shared in very funny antidotes! And kids! My goodness the things they come up with to say are never ending! McKinley's new favorite hair do is Hippo hair?!?!?!? Just a pony tail done in any way, one, two, doesn't matter, that's hippo hair and she loves it! Oh and massage client thank you for sharing how your mother in law walked in on you naked after a shower when she was visiting!!! The stories are never ending!!!

Practice: I get to practice being a parent on someone else's children! Observe what they do and what works and doesn't. Hopefully that way my oldest child will not end up being too much of a guinny pig!!! I get to practice listening and compassion as people share intimate details of their life with me. Tragedy knows no race, social status, religion, or finical position. A persons true character is revealed as their spirit is being tested. Most of the time I've found a beautiful person come shining through!
With that tragedy comes great forgiveness. It amazes me then things people are able to forgive! Just as Christ has taught us to be like little children if we can be as forgiving we will truly be more Christ like! They hold no grudges!!!

Lust for Knowledge: Kids have an intense desire for knowledge. I love how learning is fun! Gavin has been working on adding numbers. He successfully conquered 1+any number up to 20 so I thought 2 is not that much harder. He was afraid it might be too hard for him but with a little persuasion quickly grasped the concept f 2+__ He said to me, "this is fun can we do it some more!" How much wiser would I be if I was as excited and anxious to learn! On then other end massage allows me the opportunity to gain knowledge about human instinct. I love meeting new people, learning their stories, and finding out what makes them tick! I love learning how we as humans are all the same, and all uniquely different. Massage has allowed me to do this much more then I ever did before!

So although I do not have any of the traditional benefits of employment I feel the ones I do have make up for it!!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

I agree, you have GREAT benefits. If only I was as wise as you are when I was your age. I really could have saved myself a lot of misery and time. Thanks for the blog!

Heather said...

Dearest Terina, I do believe you mean "life lessons" not lesions. Though it can feel like a pesky lesion if it is a tough lesson to learn. :) I am glad you have these many benefits in addition to Brent's of course.

Emily said...

I just love your insight - you find the best in every situation and have such gratitude and happiness in life - you really are such an inspiration!