Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Walmart

*****I write this post knowing there is probably someone out there who will find it offensive! So please know that I am not writing this with any judgement! I do not think any less of any one for where they shop! Nor do I think I am better then any one for my decisions of where I shop!!! Also know is is my blog, with my opinions, that's all they are opinions!*****






In the past Brent and I have tried to avoid shopping at Walmart. Walmart is like the evil empire. It is literally taking over the world! There have been studies, it has been proven they are taking over mom and pop shops world wide! For that reason alone we try and avoid shopping there and support more local shops. Also it does seem that because of the low prices Walmart attracts trashier people (I am NOT saying if you shop at Walmart you are trashy). Walmart is the only store I've been to and had a man with 4 teeth and 5 kids blatantly leer at me while I walked down the isle. Also the customer service is not as great as other stores. And the produce is often not as fresh as other stores and other products my not always have as high of quality. That being said since we had the financial ability to not worry about saving $20 by shopping at Walmart we normally didn't. Well with my current forced unemployment we are looking at ways to cut costs. So off to Walmart I went. Feeling like I've morally lowered my standards and switched to the dark side supporting the evil empire. Now I know Walmart tends to have lower prices but I was honestly SHOCKED at the total at the end of my shopping trip. We hadn't been grocery shopping in 3 weeks and were living off frozen burritos and mac & cheese, so I had a TON of shopping to do. Not only that but I stocked up on a few pantry items we had run out of and got some personal hygiene items I'd run out of. The total $70!!!!! The savings blew me away! I knew I'd be saving money but that was more then I had even anticipated! I think it's safe to say for the next little while I will be a Walmart shopper. I'll probably always think of the small business owner being starved out of town when I go but I'll also be thinking about me being able to eat! Also we live in an area that is pretty nice so the people who shop there for the most part are your normal every day Joe! I'm happy to say there was no crack heads staring me down making me wonder if he was going to follow me to the parking lot. (Can you tell that experience was a bit traumatic??)


Just a little side note when I lived back east if my friends or I were feeling home sick know where we would go? That's right Walmart! They are all pretty much set up the same and so it felt like home! One particularly cold rainy day when we had nothing to do we made the 30 minute trek to Walmart, they do not have very many Walmarts where I lived!
We went in looking like this.......
Since we had no real purpose in going once we go there we ended up looking like this........

Then we left looking like this.........

11 comments:

Morgan said...

Ugh!!! I am so offended!!!

Just kidding. I don't care.

What is your email? I just emailed a lady with how I save a ton on groceries and I would be happy to forward it on to you if you are interested. Facebook me! :)

Erin L said...

i shop at wal-mart. i do not like shopping at wal-mart. I prefer to do my grocery shopping at the grocery store in town instead of going 15 minutes away to wal-mart. But you just can't beat the prices on household items, hygiene products, diapers, etc. I have to shop there. Besides, we don't have a Target, and that's where I would like to shop the most.

Lisa said...

You go girl.

Kayla said...

So funny! I remember the first time I saw the Wal mart in CT, I felt like I was home.

What's for dinner? said...

I agree with your wal-mart issues but after a year of trying to make it at the other "local shops" we ended up back at wal-mart, with a family and the added expenses of kids it saves us WAAAY more money to shop there. Sometimes it's worth it to just go during the day and stay clear of the freaks that come out at night!

Hilary said...

Someone had to day it. Mike and I avoid shopping at WalMart for the same reasons, and more.
They pay their employees poorly (thus the poor customer service), don't give them insurance, unless they're management, etc., etc., etc.

I see your point, and I'm glad you're able to save so much money! But I hope we never come to that, either. :)

Kalena and Justin said...

I am more then happy to say I shop at walmart. I have two little girls and in the end it is just cheaper. One thing I love about the Evil Empire is ev even durring this hard time in the contry they are still putting up more stores and they are one of the few places hiring. I have a good friend who works there and though he hates it he is thankful for the job and is able to still go to school. You go girl for finding ways to save money every penny counts. And thank goodness you live by a normal one. Love the pics by the way.:)

Marilyn said...

You are so funny! Loved the pictures especially the one with you modeling the clothes.

AZ Larsens said...

Girl, you need to do Couponsense! You will be SHOCKED if you start coupon-shopping, I promise.

The nicest Wal-Mart ever is the one on Baseline and Signal Butte!

Anonymous said...

haha, this one made me laugh. I have heard a few people refer to Wal-Mart as the evil empire, but I can't afford to not shop there because you really do save. But having said that I HATE going there and there are a lot of weird people that do work and shop there, but it's all about the savings for me! I like your honesty though, refreshing!

Ali said...

It is evil, but we do save, that's what's so bad, they know we are FORCED to shop there! (I do have to get most produce elsewhere though, it's kinda caca!) Thx for the much needed humor, you look hot in your wally wear!