Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Recall on Broken Baby Makers


This is how I feel. Like a broken baby maker that needs to be recalled! I failed the second glucose test, which means I have gestational diabetes (GD). Sad news! My Dr. apt on Monday was not a good one! First I was hit with the GD. I asked some questions about that but was told she'd refer me to a diabetes class. So I didn't worry too much. Then she asked how contractions have been, since I've been having contractions since 17 weeks this is a typical question at visits. For the past couple months they have been very manageable. As long as I don't over exert myself they are fine, maybe a handful a day with some of those just being braxton hicks. The past week or so though they have increased. Not a ton, and not to the amount I was having around 17 weeks but more then it had been. When I said that she says ok well let's check you then. More bad news, I'm dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced. She did a fetal fibronectin (FFN) test which can predict if you will go into labor in the next week or two. Put me on pelvic rest and sent me on my way. I do want to say normally I love my Dr. She is through, answers all my questions, is straightforward and honest. But Monday I felt like she was completely rushed and I left with more questions then when I came! When I got home I was scared to eat, scared of food! Apparently food and I are no longer friends! I didn't know what was safe and good to eat. So I called up my good friend who just had a baby and had GD and got some good guidelines from her. All my Dr. had told me was to keep my blood sugars below 120. So I was very grateful my friend was defective as well! So she could help me out! I have to stab myself 4 times every day to closely monitor my sugar levels. We'll see how my finger tips hold out! The GD I'm not that concerned about. As long as I eat right and monitor it closely baby and I should be fine. Besides that, a good strict diet will be good for Brent too! So not a huge deal! I'm worried about the fact that my body is starting to get ready to have a baby already. I'm only 30 weeks! Too soon! Just this weekend I was thinking how I only have 10 weeks left and how short that seemed! I've loved being pregnant! I love feeling my little Nutterbutter move around, have hiccups, and kick around! It's such a miracle! I love that I get to experience it! I love that I can chat it up with other moms about heart burn and hip pain and all the other miserable parts of being pregnant! I wondered if I'd ever have this experience and so I'm truly cherishing every moment. So 10 more weeks seems like such a short amount of time! Now here I am looking like I've only got a prayer of making it that long! But I'm praying! We're praying to make it to 36 weeks! And to be quite honest I don't really even know how serious it is that I'm dilating and effacing already. My Dr. didn't really say much. I'm not on bed rest so that's a good sign right? Although I have a good feeling that's in my near future if things progress at all! Not that I'm looking forward to that, or asking for that but whatever it takes to keep Nutterbutter in as long as possible! I'm not ready to have this baby yet, and He's not ready to come out yet! Thankfully I passed the FFN so my chances of going into labor in the next week or two are pretty low. That was a huge relief! I was scared before I got the results of that test! I got online and googled survival rates of babies born 31 weeks. That was not good. Although survival rates are very high so is the risk of complications, extended hospital stays, and developmental problems! As I'm reading info my vivid imagination is running wild picturing the worst case scenario. Finally I walked away from the computer and prayed. That is all I could do. Pray. A good prayer and a good cry later I realized that it's in the Lords hands and all I can do is have faith everything will be fine! There is nothing I can do and worrying won't help anything! So deep breaths, everything will be fine!!

So I left the Dr. on Monday with GD and threatening preterm labor. Oh and about that.....I do not like the sound of that.......I'm threatening preterm labor. It sounds like I'm storming the Dr. office with a list of demands, holding my huge pregnant belly in one hand and a vile of Pitocin in the other hand. Like a mad woman insisting that if I don't get what I want I'll put myself into labor! "Believe me I'll do it! Don't make me put myself into labor!!!" Come on! Could we word that a little more patient friendly, like showing signs of preterm labor, not threatening preterm labor! I promise I'm not threatening anything! Maybe my body is, but I am not!

So pretty much I am a defective baby maker (which is not so flattering since that's all I am right now, a baby maker). It takes me two years to get knocked up, and then once I do all I want to do is spit the baby out! Not at all how I had imagined things but guess that's how it goes! If this is what it takes, then it is all worth it! Little Nutterbutter we can't wait to meet you but please just stay put for at least 6 more weeks!!!!

8 comments:

Shawn Brown said...

And there it is. Took you a day or two but the picture turned out nice ha ha.

Heather said...

Well crap. Crap, crap, crap. Sorry for the bad news and all in one visit! But I wouldn't call you defective...

Brittney Blount said...

Not defective. That is frustrating though. We will keep you in our prayers!

Rootbeer Floats said...

I am so sorry to hear that. (I like what Heather had to say.).... I have to say that sometimes I still feel defective -- with her out early and then my continuing milk supply issues.... A good prayer and a good cry does wonderful things, and I am so grateful for prayer -- and the reminders that I get that I am not defective.... I am so glad you are loving pregnancy -- I am looking forward to the aches and pains AND feeling the baby more next time.... I will keep praying for you.

Hilary said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all the complications, but, man, that picture is FUN-NEEE!!!

Kendra said...

You're not defective. It's just a trial that will make it all worth it when the baby comes and you get to experience thejoy of being a mother! Good luck - I hope things go well (and get better) for you.

dixonfamily said...

You are great!! not at all defective. I'm sorry about all the finger pricks and the fact that your cervix is ready to go a little too soon. There are tons of stresses with the process of getting a baby here. Good luck with everything and I'll be praying that your little man stays put for at least 6 more weeks!

shells said...

Hang in there lady! I hear its worth it ;)