Thursday, December 22, 2011

James Ernest Maldonado

I haven't posted anything in quite a while, because I needed to write this post.  I've been putting it off, so hard to do.


October 29 2011 Brent and I were enjoying a visit from a friend.  The phone rang, Brent answered it.  I immediately knew something was not wrong.  The color drained from his face, his tone of voice changed.  I heard him say "Are you serious?....We'll be right over".  After he hung up he told me something was wrong with  his Dad, and ambulance was on it's way to get him.  We abandoned the dinner that was barely out of the oven, I couldn't find my shoes or Croix's pants, so we left with out them.  We passed the ambulance as we entered their neighborhood.  Met Corinne out front talking to a paramedic.  She said Jim wasn't breathing and didn't have a heart beat when she found him or before he left.  Brent left with is Mom to the hospital.  I called the siblings and told them which hospital to go to.

Croix and I quickly went home and got shoes and pants and hurried over to the hospital.

My brother in law Tim is a fire fighter.  He had heard the call and met the ambulance at the hospital.  He and his crew worked on Jim, unsuccessfully.  Tim removed Jim's wedding ring, brought it out to Corinne and informed us that he had not made it.  News I think we all already knew but were still holding out hope it wasn't true.

We went into the room and sat with Jim for a while.  It was so hard to get up and leave and say goodbye, especially for Corrine, her and Jim did everything together, and he's always supposed to go with her.

We suspect that it was a massive heart attack, but despite three different requests the hospital did not perform an autopsy, so we will never know for sure.  Because of the hospital we also had complications getting a death certificate.  They released his body to the mortuary with out it being signed (which is illegal) and then refused to sign it.  You can not get a permit for a burial with out a signed death certificate.  (locals, never use Mountain Vista Medical Center)

During the week following his death we attended the temple as a family.  I've never been more grateful for the knowledge of the plan of salvation and promise of temple covenants.  We have felt the Lord, and Jim with us.  We have experienced miracles.  We know we will see him again.

As life has gone on and we've found a new normal it's been hard.  He's been missed dearly.  Our sweet little Croix who loves his Papa so much and is too little to understand still asks for his Papa, gets excited to go to Papa's house, and looks for his Papa once we get there.  I cry every time.  I think I'll cry the first time he doesn't do that too.

Jim was one of the best men I've ever known, truly he was.  His knowledge and love of the Gospel was deep and profound.  He loved his family dearly and was the best Papa to his grandchildren.  He loved his wife, and treated her wonderfully.  He was kind, and served other often and willingly.  He was a teacher, always helping others to learn. He loved to work with his hands building things, growing a garden, fixing things.  If we ever had a project we needed help with, he knew how to help.






This is his Obituary.

This is a beautiful rememberance video.



We love and miss you Jim and look forward to the day we will see you again.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Desiree told me about it. Times like this make me so grateful for the gospel. While it can't take the pain away it can help us make it through the difficult times knowing we'll get to see our loved ones again. You are in our prayers, especially during the Christmas season.

Heather said...

This is a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful man. I only met him once but the deep love he had for his family was obvious. Thank goodness we have the Gospel and you will get to see Papa Jim again. Love you!

Marilyn said...

Such a sweet tribute to you father in law. i didn't know him but I know Brent and so I know he was a good man.