Sunday, December 16, 2012

Death Wish

Since moving here Croix has been putting himself in harms way all the time.  Brent was trying to get the washer and dryer hooked up.  He had the dryer on a furniture dolly (a wood square with wheels on the bottom).  Neither of us were in the laundry room, Brent was just outside the door, and I was down the hall.  Brent and I were talking.  Brent looked over and hollered "Croix" in a tone that scared me to death and quickly hurried into the laundry room.  Then I heard the dryer come crashing down.  I was terrified Croix was underneath it.  I ran as fast as I could into the laundry room.  The dryer was on its back, Croix was standing next to it.  Tears sprang to my eyes and I was over joyed to see him standing there and not mangled under the dryer as I was picturing.  My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking for quite a while.  The reality of what could have happened kept coming to my mind.  I often say that Croix almost died, but really it's an exaggeration ( like the two following stories) but he really could have this time.  If the dryer had fallen on Croix it easily could have killed him.  I have said multiple prayers of gratitude that my busy, inquisitive, overly helpful, little boy was safe after that incident.

I got Croix up from his nap and found a flashlight completly disassembled (nothing new over here).  I'm gathering pieces to put it back together and found the batteries chewed up!  Croix had been chewing on them.  I was so glad he hadn't chewed them long enough or hard enough to get to the acid in them.  Could have burned his mouth and face and sent us straight to the ER!


I had a candle burning, it was set on the wall behind my kitchen sink.  I was in the living room which is all open and connected to the kitchen, but I was at the opposite end.  Croix climbed up to the sink, grabbed the candle and slipped splashing hot wax all over the kitchen, thankfully away from himself, and not all over himself.

I really wonder sometimes how he has not been seriously injured.  Knock on wood.  I'll pray the angels that must be watching over him continue to hang around for a while.

No comments: