Wednesday, November 12, 2008

RATTLESNAKE!!!



So it was a little after 6:00 on Wed evening. The sun had just gone down and the street lights had not turned on yet so it was still pretty dark. I (Brent) had just taken the trash out and was walking back to the front door and decided to stop by and wash out the trash can. As I bent down to turn on the water, I heard a rustling in the rocks. I thought it was a lizard because they are all over the place here, but it sounded bigger than that. I looked up and in the faint light and saw a snake moving away from me. By the time I saw it, it was about a foot away from me. It was just a baby, maybe about a foot long. I couldn't tell exactly what kind of snake it was at first because of the lighting issue, but thought it was a rattlesnake because of how fat it was. I ran in and told Terina that I almost stepped on a rattlesnake and grabbed a flashlight. Terina was cleaning the floors so she had knee pads and rubber gloves on but ran out to see the snake. As we were examining the snake, our neighbor came home and we met for the first time, with Terina in knee pads and rubber gloves. We ran back in to get the camera, but by the time we had gotten back out there, it had disappeared. It was definitely a rattlesnake. Terina is freaking out now. She called a snake removal place but they want $250 just to come out. If they find the snake and take it away, it will be another $98. Terina doesn't want to let the dogs out or go outside. Hopefully it will get colder soon and the snakes will disappear for the winter.

3 comments:

Heather said...

A rattlesnake? In your community?? Crazy and scary!

What's for dinner? said...

Bosco has already been bitten 2 times by a rattle snake...he's like a maganet...keep him away!

The Frost Family said...

Oh my gosh! Good thing nothing happened. that is so scary!