Thursday, October 2, 2008

Moving On

Brent and I have been released from the CTR 5 teachers in the primary. We are both a little sad! We truly love the little kids in our class! We have been teaching them every Sunday for almost 2 years! That is almost half their life! At least 2/3! It was so sad when we told them we were not going to be their teachers any more! Their little faces just dropped! They were so sad! Although we are sad to leave them we are both excited about our new callings. Brent will be a Sunday School teacher for the 14-15 year olds. We have heard a couple of times that it is a very tough group to teach! I bet he will be chasing them as much as our 4-5 year olds! I know Brent will do amazing though! He is such a great person and so easy to relate to and so easy going that I'm sure the kids will get along will with him. I think Brent will do amazing working with the youth! I got called to be the 1st councilor in the young womens program. I am SO excited about this calling. Although I am slightly overwhelmed I've been praying and pondering and I know that the Lord would not have asked me to do this if I were not capable of doing it! I've decided I just need to make sure I am in tune to the Lords promptings so that I will know what he wants me to do! Although there is a lot of responsibility I think where the most overwhelming feelings come from are the great love and memories I have of my young womens leaders! They were truly amazing and inspired me and helped me to learn volumes about the Gospel and myself. They plaid such a major roll in my life that I know how important this calling is! I worry that I don't know enough to teach them all they need to be prepared for the major things that are coming so soon in their lives! Even to help them through the major trials they are facing right now! I wonder, am I living a life that is "good enough" to be a good example to these young women? I guess I need to get a one piece swim suit! LOL but when I start doubting myself and my abilities I just pray and remember the Lord knows what he is doing! I went to my first young womens activity in 8 years on Tuesday. I was nervous, would the girls like me? Would I be able to relate to them? Will I be able to remember their names? (there are 12 girls in my Mia Maids class) Well it was such a blast! Only two of our girls showed up for the activity which in a way was nice, I think I'll remember at least their names and I can build on that! They were awesome and amazing girls! And my heart was so happy when the other leader Mary introduced me as the new leader and they seemed excited and said something to the affect of "way cool". I love them already and I don't even know most of them yet!! Also all the leaders in young womens seem like such fun and amazing women! I am so excited to get to know them better and work with them! Hopefully I can build some great friendships!

I am also looking forward to General Conference! I really need to hear the Lords direction in my life right now! I need to feel the spirit and the guidance and inspiration that always comes through hearing the living prophet speak to us! I have to give a little thanks to my seminary teacher for instilling this great love of General Conference within me! When I was in high school we would do "fast from the world week" Just like you might physically fast before an important occasion to be more in tune to the spirit we would do a spiritual fast to help us to be prepared to hear the words of the prophet and other leaders of the church. Our spiritual fast from the world consisted of.......(if I can remember everything it's been a while!) reading scriptures for 30 min a day, carrying your scriptures with you everywhere you went, wearing Sunday dress the whole week, dresses for girls white shirts and ties for the boys, no music, no tv, no radio the entire week. Participating in this really helped impress upon me not only the importance of General Conference but also the importance of preparing yourself spiritually to hear what the Lord is trying to say to you! So Brent and I will not be fasting from the world :) but we will be attending the temple tomorrow to spiritually prepare to hear the words of our Heavenly Father for us this weekend!!

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I am so excited for you and for the girls in your young womens! I was released from beehives when Josh was born and am still sad about it. It's amazing how much I learned from the girls. You will do great!

The Payne family said...

How cool! I think being in Young Womens would be a lot of fun. You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes! You also brought up some amazing memories of seminary and fast from the world. What a great time! Remember how embarrassing it seemed to carry your scriptures around for the first time? Ha ha!
Hope you are feeling better (from the bronchitis that is).