Friday, September 5, 2008

Day of Buffets (Day 4)

This was the first day that we were finally able to sleep in! It was so nice to not wake up hours before the sun came up! We had decided to make this day our chill at the resort day (there was plenty to do there and a beautiful beach!) So we went and had the resort breakfast buffet. It was the best breakfast buffet ever!!! It had just about everything you could ever want. The best fresh fruit ever, you could make your own omelet (well not really you picked what you wanted in it and someone else made it for you), they had pastries, oatmeal, cereal, toast, you could make your own fresh juice drink from fresh fruit, eggs benedict, scrambled eggs, bread pudding, you name it they had it! So delicious! I tried to have a little bit of everything! And it was all so good! It was so nice to it was on an outdoor patio so it was just beautiful! A gentle breeze and little birdies flying around! Amazing!


After breakfast we headed to the resort beach to hang out. They had grass umbrellas that usually were taken but a LOT of people had left the day before (after Labor Day) so there was not nearly as many people, so there was a grass umbrella for us! Brent and I went snorkeling for a little bit, then I headed back to the nice sandy beach while Brent snorkeled away. I decided I hadn't gotten much sun and I was determined to get at least a little. I thought I was getting a little but time flies when you are relaxing on the beach with a good book so an HOUR later I climbed in the shade. I thought I was ok despite being in the sun for quite some time and even after we headed back to the room I was not even pink. But as is typical of sun burns as the day progressed my sun burn slowly appeared! Oh well would it really be a beach vacation with out a good sunburn? Not for me! Ha! While I was laying on the beach a little birdie came and said hi to me! If I'd had food I'm sure he would have walked right into my hand, as it was he walked right up to me! So I soaked in the sun while Brent snorkeled. When I'd go dip in the water to cool down he'd come say hi and we'd check in for a min then go back to laying and snorkeling. It was perfect!



After the beach we headed to our room. When we got there there was a gift basket, at first I thought oh good, they are just a day late for our Anniversary!. Nope! It was for some guy, there on a business trip! So we took it down to the concierge when we left. They were almost shocked that we were bringing it to them funny to me since it honestly didn't even cross my mind to keep it when I realized it was not intended for us! When we went up to our room I tried to make a massage apt. at the Lomi Lomi Shop, recommended by my friend Donna. I don't know why but I was thinking that I would be able to call and get right in. Not the case. They were pretty booked and I was trying to figure out when I could make an apt. I decided to take the latest apt. they had for the next day at 5:30 and just hoped we'd make it back in time. I really kicked myself for not making an apt. sooner! Then we went to browse some of the shops at the resort. I had to run to the bathroom so Brent went ahead and I used the lobby bathroom. I know you are wondering why you need to know about my bathroom usage but there is a good point!!! The view from the bathroom was amazing! I was shocked! An amazing view, from the bathroom! Yes yes indeed! When I got to the jewelry shop, Brent thought he'd like to get me something, till he realized it cost more than our trip! Ha ha ha! It was a sweet thought though. Resort shops are generally over priced anyway! And Donna had told me about a great place to get souvenirs. So I was waiting till we went there.



After we dropped the gift basket off at the concierge we decided to walk down the beach and see some of the other lagoons for the resorts near by! The walk was beautiful. It took me right back to Puerto Rico! The side walk reminded me of the walk I would take every day from my room to the spa! There were many things that reminded me of Puerto Rico, it made me home sick! It made me long for days of laying on the beach, enjoying island life!
That night we went to a luau at Paradise Cove. It was just down the street from our resort (maybe a 10 in walk) so we decided to walk, it was a beautiful walk! The Luau was such a cool experience! We were greeted with a lei and got a free Mai Tai. We saw a guy husk a coconut. We learned to hula. We got tribal tattoos (that smudged off before the night was through). Watched a guy climb a coconut tree and shower us with flowers. Made a bracelet out of fresh flowers. We got to participate in a traditional hukilau, pulling giant fishing nets from the sea to the rhythms of a conch shell and island chants. There was a ball twirling thing that I just couldn't get, and spear throwing and a Hawaiian version of bowling. Then the sunset ceremony to unearth the luau's traditional underground-roasted pig. After the 2 hrs of pre-show entertainment we got our dinner, a Hawaiian buffet of roasted pig, fried chicken fish, all sorts of salads, desserts and of course poi! Not as bad as some people say, but I wouldn't call it good either! Then the show started. Man can those islanders move there hips! Even the guys could shake it! There was not much to there costumes and at one point I thought, how are they not cold. The sun was down, it was pretty windy and I was chilly. Then I looked closer and saw the sweat and realized oh yes that's right there getting a killer work out right now! We learned quite a bit about Hawaiian culture and I learned that a Mai Tai is my new fav virgin drink! On the walk home the funniest thing happened! They have radar to say how fast you are going to try and slow people down. Well it clocked us as walking 8 MPH! We were laughing so hard! It was a great day of relaxing and stuffing ourselves at buffet's!

No comments: