Friday, September 19, 2008

Goodbye Bentley

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this post. Our family has gone from Brent and I and our two dogs to Brent and I and Bosco. Today at noon a very nice woman came to adopt Bentley. He bit me again last night Brent this time too. After months of working with a trainer and trying everything every one suggested (including some rather off the wall things that would make you question our sanity) he still was not getting any better. So we made the very hard decision that it is time for him to find a new home. The lady who adopted him sound perfect for Bentley. She already has one dog who is spoiled spoiled spoiled! He will not even drink his water unless it has lemon in it! This will be perfect for Bentley. We adopted him from a woman that had treated him like a person and that's where all the problems came from. I doubt after 3 years of being treated like that we could ever undo how spoiled he was. I'm sure he will have no problems where he is! Just so no one is wondering, I was completely honest with the lady about his problems, the fact that he has bitten and that he pees. I was honest in saying I fully believe that he will be fine in her home. She made a well informed decision. Although we know in our hearts that Bentley will be much happier in a home where he will be spoiled and get to do what ever he wants, it does not make this any easier. I cried on the phone with her discussing Bentley, I cried when I said good bye, and I'm crying right now. I wish he would have just gotten it! He was such a great dog when he wasn't psycho! Which was most of the time! We will have to get another dog since the reason we got Bentley was Bosco needed a friend. He's seemed lonely already and it's only been a few hours. I hope we get a better dog this time. One that can be a part of our family forever. Until we get another dog to fill the void I have a feeling it's going to be a little sad and lonely around here! We are mourning the loss of a good friend!

4 comments:

The Bray Family said...

I'm so sorry! It must be really hard to let go to your little doggy that you love!
It does sound like, in the end, it will be a better situation for everyone involved - but I'm sure that doesn't make it any easier. I hope that you all have as easy transition as is possible and that your household feels whole and healed soon!

Hilary said...

I'm sorry. It's hard to give up the little guys. I'm sure you guys will be over it in no time! :)

Amanda said...

I'm sorry honey. I know how hard a decision that was. You did the right thing.... Sending you hugs.

Jared and Lisa said...

oh thats hard:( You just get so attached to those little guys. You made a good decision......try not to worry so much.