Friday, September 26, 2008

A Foot Gone, and Other Random Thoughts

Yes I still have both my feet, so does Brent and Bosco well technically Bosco still has all 4 paws! So where is the foot gone you wonder? After drying my hair by hanging my head out the car window 4 times in a week I decided maybe it was time to cut it!! So my hair is now a foot shorter! I took a couple before pics



It was all curly so you can't tell how long it was and I didn't get a pic of it straight :( Oh well



This pic makes me laugh because the goal was to do "I'm sexy and looking over my shoulder" But instead it just made my nose look big and me look silly! I should know I can't pull off super duper sexy! So on Wed I went and chopped it all off. I went to the same person that cut it short for me last time. I told her I wanted something similar to last time but just a couple differences. Well it is basically the exact same hair cut! Which is ok because it's a great cut. Although it's not EXACTLY what I wanted, it's close and it looks good so I'm happy. This is the final out come!






I really do enjoy short hair! I love the adjustment from long hair too! Getting WAY too much shampoo the first time you wash it. Pulling the brush too far the first time you are styling it. It's great! Ha ha. Oh I almost forgot the fun story of getting it cut. So I've been picking the kids up from school at 11:30 every day for my nanny job (which I'm so happy to say I LOVE!!!!) So I scheduled my hair cut for 10:30. I used to work at the spa that I got it done at so I know they block out 30 min. for a hair cut and the school is less then a mile from the spa so I figured it would be perfect. Get a cut, say hi to people and catch up for a min. and get the kids. Well Monique started cutting my hair and the receptionist came up and told her her next apt. canceled. We were both happy, a little more time for me and my hair and chit chatting! But I forgot to mention I needed to be done by 11:20 to get the kids. Well after a while I thought, we've been talking for a while. She had just finished the cut and pulled out some product to start styling it and I asked "what time is it?" She looked at the clock and said 20 to 12!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! I jumped out of the chair with the cape still on. Told her "I'm late to get kids I don't have time for you to blow it out sorry!" She made me stand still long enough to get the clippers and buzz the baby hairs on the back of my neck. Then I flew to the front desk basically threw money at them and literally ran to my car. I was freaking out because I know the lady who does there preschool picks up a girl from kindergarten right after so it's important the kids be picked up on time!!! I must have said I'm sorry 100 times when I got there! I felt so bad! But despite the feeling bad for being late I was also a little sad I didn't get to have my hair professionally styled! That is about my favorite part of getting a hair cut! Or maybe the shampoo.....oh that feels so good! Anyway they always do so much a better job then I can do in my bathroom so I was a little sad I missed out on that! The whole day everyone got to see my new hair just air dried, or wet! It was a little disappointing :-( But I got over it quick.

Also life with out Bentley has been sad. Although we know it was the right decision and I'm sure he's happier where he can be spoiled it's still been hard and sad. I miss him at the most random moments, sitting on the couch and looking to see if he's sitting on his fav pillow only to be reminded that he's gone. No happy bark to greet us when we come home. The other day I was bored and looking at the pictures on my phone and just started crying when I saw the cute, cute pics of him! But the saddest part has to be Bosco! The whole reason we adopted Bentley in the first place was that Bosco needed a friend. We could tell he was lonely and he had had other dogs where he lived before us. Bosco and Bentley were best of friends. And Bosco is as sad now as I as I was when my best friend moved out of state after high school. He mopes around. He's whiny. He won't leave my side. He's so much more....I would say clingy but I don't now if a dog can be clingy so cuddly. He wants to cuddle all the time now, even more then before! It's sad for me to see him so sad! We are looking for another dog. But after Bentley we want to make sure we find a good one! So wish us luck!

I'm always a little sad this time of year. Fall is my favorite season and we don't get much fall here in sunny Mesa AZ. I was exited for cooler weather when last week the temps didn't reach 100 all week. But then this week they have been over 100 all week! So much for things cooling down. I miss fall colors, sweaters, scarfs, the smell of autumn air (I'm telling you it smells different), turning of the ac and rolling down the windows. There are more things but I won't bore you with all the things I miss about fall. Suffice it to say that although I love living here this is the time of year my heart longs for that season change. This time of year also makes me home sick for Connecticut and New York! It reminds me of listening to Norah Jones and driving along windy narrow Connecticut roads in my green Honda CRV.

Also I went to Costco today for only 3 items and I left with only 3 items, one was not what I came for but still I was proud of my self! That is almost impossible to do. But I was surprised to see Christmas everywhere! Wrapping paper, cards, gift sets. I though am I just totally oblivious or what? It is really time to start thinking about Christmas......in SEPTEMBER!!!!!! Call me crazy but I still think that we should wait till after Halloween!

I've been watching the news and I'm a little worried about the financial future of our country. There are a lot of major things going on right now. And a lot of them are not good! I really hope our country can survive all of the past 10 years or so of people living on credit! I was watching Oprah and Suzie Orman was on talking about finances. She is a woman who boldly speaks the truth and tells people the cold hard facts of a situation even if it's hard to hear/say. She was basically yelling at America about how bad we have been with our finances. I must say I felt so much relief to know that she was not talking to me! Don't get me wrong, Brent and I by no means are sitting free and clear. But we have worked hard and tried to be smart with our money. We had some amazing opportunities to be able to save and we did! So we have a little savings and are still able to feel safe and comfortable despite the current situation of the economy (not that I'm not watching what's going on and hoping it doesn't get near as bad as the great depression because that affected everyone! Well except the millionaires which would be like billionaires in our day and we are FAR from billionaires) I'm just grateful that we followed the prophets council to stay out of unnecessary debt and to save for the future! I'm not trying to gloat or say how great we are, I'm tyring to point out how much the Lord loves us! And how blessed we are from following his council! I'm so grateful for insightful and in tune leaders of the church who have warned us for years of this very day! I'm just grateful I feel, to some extent, prepared!

I am also scared for the upcoming election! I fear for our country if Obama becomes president. I know there are many people who feel the same way about McCain but this is just my opinion and my feelings. Please no one take it personally. I feel like many Americans are excited about the idea of an African American president. Which I feel would be amazing and a huge step for our country, and speak volumes about how far we have come from the beginning days with slavery. But I do not feel like Obama is the right person! I do not feel comfortable with the idea of the president of my country not saluting our flag. It baffles me how a man trying to obtain leadership of our country can refuse to wear a flag pin on his suit jacket. I am worried that people are being blinded by the fact that Obama looks good, speaks eloquently, and speaks of change (which the whole nation is hungry for) but that he does not have the experience or policy to back up what he is saying, to create the change he so boldly declares he will bring. I also do not know how the situation with his preacher has flown so smoothly under the radar. I could almost guarantee that if McCain had gone to a church for 20 years where white supremacy was preached and anti Americanism was preached his chance at the presidency would have been blown away that very moment. But Obama was able to breeze right past that exact situation. I'm sorry but you do not listen to a preacher for 20 years and not agree with what he is saying! You would find a new church to attend. Anyway I've been rambling on for a while now but I am worried about the future of our country and I hope and pray that we will be able to rise above the situation we have put ourselves in and become a stronger country once we get through this! And that as a nation we elect the best man to lead us to a better place.

One last thought, I've saved the best for last. Brent has started a diet! I'm so proud of him for it! Over the past 2 1/2 weeks he has been on the most hard core diet ever! He only eats, fruits, veggies, nuts and whole grains. No sugar, white flour, meat or dairy! And he has been so good! We decided he is allowed to cheat once a week but other then that he has been amazing! I am so proud of him!!!! So far he has lost 10LBS and 2 pants sizes! He has also started running with Bosco every night! I know it is hard to first admit you need to make changes and second take action and change! I'm so proud of him (have I said that yet??) for doing just that!! Way to go Brent!!!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You're a good one. Let's hang out. Thanks for all your sweet comments. I think David and I definately need a break. When's a good time for you? Where do you live? Do you own or rent? We are looking for places in Mesa. Any suggestions? We want to rent. Sorry this is a long long comment. I like your blogs. and your hair. It's super cute!

Kayla said...

love your hair!

Heather said...

Your hair totally rocks! I love how you had it styled at mutual and I forgot to tell you. I am excited to work with you and think you already fit right in, you and Mary will make a great team!

Congrats to Brent on such a strict diet. That is huge and crazy hard.