Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hypnobabies

When I was pregnant with Croix I wanted to do a natural birth.  I scared myself out of it.  I don't feel like his birth was a bad experience.  But I know it's not what I really wanted.  There were definitely things that I feel would have gone much smoother and faster had it been a natural birth.  This time around I knew I wanted a natural birth.  I also remembered how miserable I was with Croix before I got an epidural.  I remember thinking, I can't do this.  And throwing up, and wanting to cry.  Yep, I remember, yet I still want a natural birth this time.  I know that I can do it, but I also know I need to be prepared and have the right tools to be able to do it.  I know I can't just go to the hospital thinking "I can do this" and that things will be different and I'll be able to do any better.  So I started researching natural births.  I found Hypnobabies.  After lots of research and reading testimonials I decided this is what I wanted to do. 

A basic description of what Hypnobabies is, is using self hypnosis and hypnotic anesthetist during your birthing time (labor). so that you can have a easy, comfortable birthing experience.  The class is a 6 week course each class lasting 3 hours.  I have daily home work and a mini hypnosis sessions.  I listen to joyful birthing affirmations every day.  We talked a lot about fear, and how it creates a physical reaction in your body and how that slows down your birthing time (labor).  In Hypnobabies they realize that there are subconscious attachments, fears, to words associated with birth.  So they use (and encourage us to use and embrace) different verbiage for some things.  Labor, is your birthing time, contractions are pressure or birthing waves, etc.  As I think about having birthing waves rather than contractions, it does mentally make it seem much more possible to have an easy birthing.  I can honestly say I am excited about a natural birth!  I am not scared, or nervous.  I know that I am going to have an easy, fast, comfortable birthing.  I am so excited about what a wonderful experience it will be.  Brent has been nothing but supportive and on board 100%.  He reads a hypnosis script to me every other night.  He is not scared about supporting me in a natural birth.  We both feel prepared and ready. 

We will be birthing at the same hospital where Croix was born.  They are a very natural birth friendly hospital.  They even have laboring tubs I will be able to use.  My midwifes are 100% supportive not only of a natural birth but also Hypnobabies.  We have a doula who will be attending our birth to help support both me and Brent.  I feel like we have great education, great support team, a great hospital to birth at, we are going to have such a beautiful and wonderful birthing experience!

No comments: