Saturday, December 13, 2008

Anybody Want a Puppy??

I'll tell you the answer to that NO!!! You do not want a puppy!!! Please learn from my mistake and NEVER GET ONE!!!!! Trust me, you will thank me! But if for some reason you don't believe me that it's the worlds worst idea please come and get my puppy! I'm fearing for his safety right now! He is currently hiding out side, fearfully! He's not locked or shut out, he's to scared to come in the house! Yesterday he chewed up the air mattress! (that is a whole other post why it was out, I'll try and get that up soon!) We came home and there was a HUGE hole chewed into the air mattress. I just looked at him and yelled "This is why there is no Christmas in our home!!!" That's right, I'm Scrooge this year. We have nothing set up yet. At this point I'm wondering if it's too late in the game to decorate, is it even worth it for so little time? I digress back to the horrors of a puppy. This morning I get up, he chewed up a throw pillow! It looks like he attempted to chew off the buttons! I was angry enough about that, but at least it's easily replicable. I come up stairs to get going for the day and I hear Brent "Rusty this too???!!!???!!!" What else did he chew up I asked. Oh just the cables for the BRAND NEW CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuming, I am FUMING!!! I'm upstairs, cooling off, trying to save puppy's life, swearing never again, NEVER AGAIN will I get a puppy! Then Brent says, "It looks like he chewed some other things." "What! What else could he have chewed!?!?!" I go back down stairs, Rusty chewed up our stool, that we use for Rock Band and I use for a piano bench. Not too bad I think, it's cheap it still functions and it's just a little spot on the leg. Then Brent says, and here...............and points to.............ONE OF THE CHAIRS LEGS FROM THE DINNING ROOM TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not easily replaceable, not cheap, AT ALL, and yes it's a big deal. I am now LIVID!! No he will not come in the house! And I'm serious, if you want a puppy, come and get him! Craigslist is calling my name, I could get rid of him and find a new dog very easily and it would be a dog not a puppy! In fact I'm tempted to just take off his collar and let him run out the front door. He'll run for a good long time, I won't chase him this time, he's cute enough someone will find him, fall in love and save him. Little would they know he would destroy every thing of any value in their home! But they'd find out very quickly! So here's what's going to happen. I'm going to Petsmart buying a muzzle and coming home and decorating for Christmas! Rusty will not ruin Christmas, or anything else in my house. Since the kennel did not work perhaps a muzzle will. It feels very mean to me, but at this point it feel like the best option. Hopefully it will work and hopefully he will get his adult teeth in soon so this insatiable urge to chew will go away!

10 comments:

What's for dinner? said...

I will never get a puppy again either! Bosco was a HORRIBLE puppy! Burt and I came home from work one day with our thermostat reading 106 because Bosco chewed through our A/C wires and it blew in hot air all day!

Kalena and Justin said...

Im sorry you had such a bad morning and your ready to shoot the dog. Its a good thing your such a loveing person.

Hilary said...

I was going to say something when you posted the blog about not being able to put up your Christmas decorations. But...Didn't want to burst your bubble.. Hope you find a solution! :)

Sunny Biggs said...

puppies are hard. why did the kennel not work. that worked miracles for our puppy. she chewed up maybe like one or two things, but nothing bad or anything. it is really hard to keep them from chewing if they are teething...lots and lots of chew toys.

Anonymous said...

oh man, that sucks! Seriously, a puppy sounds worse than a kid.

Sunny Biggs said...

We talked to a trainer when we got the puppy. You prob already know this...He said to get a kennel that the puppy can only turn around in so not bigger then that. Dogs normally will not pee where they will lay. at night it is good to keep the kennel in the same room as you so they dont feel as though they are being punished. they need to feel like they are part of the "pack". what else....He give us tons of good advice. Freedom was potty trained in a week and she does not bark or whine any more. the first week was the worst, but we had to stick to it for it to work. again, you prob know all this already. We are looking for a good size house like bigger then 1600 sqft and at least 3bd 2 bath. what we want to spend is not too much more then $85k.

Heather said...

Um, the camera would have been the last straw! You are a much better person than I to have lasted this long.

Anonymous said...

Hey Terina,

If your pup is out and not supervised, he will chew out of boredom and may also be teething. He MUST and I repeat, MUST be crated while left unattended. It is not the pups fault that it's chewing, but rather the fault of not being supervised and left to run free in your home. I crated my dog all the time unless I was there to supervise her. She LOVED her crate and was trained properly how to use it. A pup also needs lots of positive training and classes are very important as well. They teach you how to train your dog not to chew, but only the items that are acceptable - like safe dog chew toys. My dog trainer used to say, if your dog messes in your house or chews up your valuables, go roll up a newspaper and hit yourself with it for not watching them and training them. LOL! It's true, it's our fault when they are left to their own devices. HTH's!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I failed to mention that I saw you tried a kennel. Did you have a trainer show you how to train him to like the kennel? It's all in how you train your particular pup. It took me a while to get my pup to like the crate, but with a lot of patience and training multiple times a day, she decided it was a nice place to be where she always got a treat thrown into her crate when she went into it. We never shut the crate door on her, we decided to let her feel comfortable with it first, before locking her in there. About a week later, and many treats and positive training sessions numerous times a day, she went in with the door shut. Yes, it takes a TON of patience to crate train a pup, but it will most likely pay off. :) Also, let them sleep in the crate next to your bed at night. I hope this helps, and I know it takes a lot of time, patience, and on going training to get it right. It's hard work, that's for sure! I think kids are WAY easier than dogs. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Terena,

FIrst of all I loved your pictures...Brent didn't look so great without you in them! I must admit, some kids are easier than a puppy...not all kids are easier. I hope you get things worked out before it costs you any more.

Aunt Carol