Monday, April 30, 2012

Bronchitis and Pregnancy

I was so so sick!  It started with a dry scratchy throat, then added in a head cold with lots of congestion!  Then after a while it moved to my chest with lots of coughing.  I ended up at urgent care Sunday evening.   Diagnosis, bronchitis.  After checking me out she said she had to check to see if I could take the prescription she wanted to give me (because I'm pregnant), if not she's had to send me over to the ER.  Oh how I prayed that what ever it was she wanted to give me was ok during pregnancy!  Thankfully it was and I was able to skip the hospital.  They gave me a breathing treatment in the office, and sent me home with 3 different prescriptions.  I only ended up with two because the Pharmacist said was a no go during pregnancy.  It was a very very slow recovery.  I am amazed at how long it took me to start feeling better.  I've had bronchitis before, but never during pregnancy.  I honestly don't know that I've ever felt so sick in my life.  I was just so tired and weak.  I'm so thankful for a great husband who stepped in and made dinners, kept the house in order, took care of me, made multiple trips to Walgreens, and kept Croix from feeling neglected.  He went into work late so I could sleep in.  He was great!

I have to say being sick while pregnant should just be against the laws of the universe!  Despite all of Brent's help it took a while to really catch everything up.  And about the time everything got caught up, we left for vacation.  So I'm behind again on laundry!  Oh how it never ends.  The most awesome part of being sick and pregnant was decreased bladder control (thankfully normally not an issue) combined with lots of coughing and sneezing.  Felt like such a baby peeing my pants!  Also, beyond the prescriptions there was not much I could take.  Even simple cough drops had to be counted, because they have carbs, and I have gestational diabetes.  Those comfort foods that are normally a go to during sickness, too high carb, couldn't have them.  Things normally on the ok during pregnancy list, I had to call and ask about because they said call your Dr if you have diabetes or thyroid issues.  Check to both of those. 

How thankful I am for my health!  That we are generally a healthy family.  That none of us have any chronic illnesses.  It is such a blessing to be able to care for my family and myself.

No comments: